ARISE ALLEGES MASSIVE IRREGULARITIES, VIOLENCE IN EKITI APC SENATORIAL PRIMARY
May 18, 2026
Senator Ayo Arise has condemned the conduct of the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial primary election in Ekiti North Senatorial District, describing the exercise as the “most shameful election” he has witnessed in the state.
Arise, who spoke shortly after the exercise, alleged widespread electoral irregularities, violence, intimidation, and manipulation of results during the primary conducted across the district.
The former senator claimed that the election outcome reflected a pre-arranged agenda by certain government interests rather than the true wishes of party members in Ekiti North.
According to him, the election process was marred by disruption of voting queues, disappearance of electoral materials, and alleged alteration of results in several local governments including Moba, Ikole, Ido-Osi, Oye, and Ilejemeje.
He disclosed that one of his campaign cameramen was brutally attacked in Ilejemeje Local Government during the exercise, adding that video evidence of the incident had been obtained and would be forwarded to relevant authorities for investigation and possible prosecution.
“In Moba, they had counted over 504 people on the queue for Arise before everything suddenly went wrong and the electoral officer disappeared,” he alleged.
Arise further claimed that in areas where he was enjoying massive support, electoral officials allegedly disappeared with voting documents before later returning with prepared results.
The former lawmaker said he entered the race to deepen internal democracy within the APC and to test the credibility of the electoral process, despite warnings from associates that the contest might not be free and fair.
He maintained that the level of support and reception he received across the six local governments in the senatorial district remained encouraging and demonstrated the appreciation of the people for quality representation and development-focused leadership.
While expressing disappointment over the conduct of some party stakeholders and officials, Arise insisted that democracy itself was not at fault but rather those entrusted with managing the process.
He warned that failure to uphold integrity, transparency, and fairness in elections could endanger the future of democracy and encourage corruption, violence, and hopelessness among young people.
The APC chieftain also accused some political actors of using state influence and security structures to manipulate the process in favour of preferred candidates.
Arise revealed that he would formally petition the national leadership of the APC over the alleged irregularities, expressing hope that the party and President Bola Tinubu would ensure justice after reviewing evidence from the exercise.
“I will pursue this matter and send my letter to the party headquarters. I believe the President stands for democracy and will not allow the actions of a few individuals to damage his legacy,” he said.
He urged party leaders and electoral officials to prioritize fairness and integrity in future elections, warning that abuse of power and manipulation of democratic processes could eventually backfire on those currently benefiting from the system.
Latest News
BANDIT BEHEAD ABDUCTED OYO TEACHER
One of the kidnapped teachers of Community High School, Ahoro-Esinele in Oriire Local Gove...
FAYOSE BACKS OYEBANJI FOR SECOND TERM, SAYS HE DESERVES TO CONTINUE TILL 2030
Former Ekiti Governor Ayodele Fayose has described Governor Biodun Oyebanji as a “performe...
ONANUGA REACTS AS PETER OBI VOWS TO SERVE ONLY ONE TERM
Special Adviser to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga,...
FORMER POWER MINISTER SALEH MAMMAN JAILED 75 YEARS OVER ₦33.8BN FRAUD
The Federal High Court in Abuja has sentenced former Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, to 7...
DANGOTE REJECTED NNPC’S BID TO INCREASE REFINERY STAKE
Alhaji Aliko Dangote, President of the Dangote Group, has said the company rejected attemp...
DANGOTE REJECTS NNPC OFFER TO INCREASE STAKE IN REFINERY
Aliko Dangote, President of the Dangote Group and Africa’s richest businessman, said the N...
Comments