TINUBU REJECTS OBASANJO’S CLAIM, SAYS PORT HARCOURT, WARRI, KADUNA REFINERIES WILL RESUME OPERATIONS
August 17, 2026
President Bola Tinubu has rejected former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s claim that Nigeria’s state-owned refineries in Port Harcourt, Warri and Kaduna may never become operational.
Tinubu, in what appears to be his clearest position so far on the viability of the three refineries, maintained that the facilities will eventually resume operations despite years of inactivity and substantial funds spent on rehabilitation and turnaround maintenance.
The President stated this on Thursday when he received the Executive President of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), Salimon Oladiti, and other members of the union at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
Tinubu’s position comes amid renewed concerns over the future of the three government-owned refineries and their ability to operate sustainably after several rehabilitation efforts.
Obasanjo has repeatedly questioned the viability of the Port Harcourt, Warri and Kaduna refineries, particularly in view of the significant public funds committed to their rehabilitation over the years.
However, Tinubu expressed confidence that the facilities would eventually become operational, signalling the Federal Government’s continued commitment to reviving Nigeria’s state-owned refineries.
Latest News
OYEBANJI CONGRATULATES ADELEKE ON OSUN RE-ELECTION
Ekiti State Governor, Biodun Oyebanji, has congratulated Osun State Governor, Ademola Adel...
ADELEKE ENDORSES TINUBU FOR 2027, CALLS FOR PEACE AFTER OSUN RE-ELECTION
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has explained his decision to support President Bola...
FG REAFFIRMS COMMITMENT TO NATIONAL SECURITY, DIASPORA-DRIVEN DEVELOPMENT
The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to making national security a top pri...
DANGOTE REFINERY, OTHERS COULD HAVE SAVED $328.8M ON CRUDE SUPPLIES IN SIX MONTHS
The Dangote Petroleum Refinery and other domestic refineries could have saved between $246...
ADELEKE WINS OSUN GOVERNORSHIP ELECTION WITH 511,067 VOTES
Accord candidate and incumbent Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has won the Osun Stat...
ADELEKE THANKS TINUBU AFTER OSUN RE-ELECTION, SAYS VICTORY IS FOR DEMOCRACY
Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, has thanked President Bola Tinubu for congratulating...
Comments